Govt. B.M. College

On June 14, 1889, Aswini Kumar Dutta founded Brojo Mohun College, which was named after his father, Brajamohan Dutta.

The first principal of the college was Babu Gyan Chandra Chowdhury. While Ashwini Kumar Dutta taught English and logic, Kali Prasanna Ghosh taught history and Kamini Kumar BidyaRatna taught Sanskrit and Bengali. In 1898, BM College was transformed into a "First Grade College" from a "Second Grade College". In 1912, the college went to government management from personal management strategy. From 1889 to 1917 the activities of the college took place on the BM School campus. The college was relocated to its own present complex in 1917.

BM College, affiliated to Calcutta University, started honors course in English and philosophy in 1922, in Sanskrit and mathematics in 1925, in chemistry in 1928, and finally in economics in 1929. The time from 1922 to 1948 is called the "Golden Period" of the college. The governor of Bengal at that time, Sir Udbarn, once commented on BM College, "The College promises someday to challenge the supremacy of the metropolitan (Presidency) College."

After the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947, the college lacked teachers and the student body fell to one third of its post-war size. This made it difficult to teach the same numbers of courses and as a result the two year Honors curriculum conducted by Calcutta University was replaced with the three Honors curriculum of Dhaka University. As a consequence, Honors courses except Mathematics were abolished in 1950. In 1952, Honors in mathematics had also been discontinued. In 1964, Honors in economics restarted. Several other Honors and Masters Courses started between 1972 and 2005.

The time since 1965 has been called the "Age of Enrichment" of the college. Former principal Mohammad Hanif is called the "Architect of Modern Brojo Mohun College".


Source: wikipedia

Author

sirajul salakin nowshad